Michael is an expert in strata law and management. He is an academic researcher at Deakin University, a consultant to strata industry suppliers, writes and delivers executive education training for strata managers and property professionals, and is a keynote conference speaker.
As an academic researcher, Michael’s current work includes research on strata building defects, combustible cladding, and other non-conforming building products in Australia and internationally.
He is retained as corporate advisor to some of the Australia’s largest strata industry service providers including listed hotel and serviced apartment operators, and building and construction suppliers
Michael has a keen interest in the behavioural characteristics of strata entities. He is the author of a book on the topic, ‘Growing Up - How strata title bodies might learn to behave’ (Major Street Press, 2015). His work in this area informs strata property developers, designers, and managers about how to build and develop medium and high-density housing that create better places for owners and will improve the appeal of their product and help them build brand value. He runs executive education training courses for strata managers and property professionals.
Michael is a leading international channel swimmer. The World Open Water Swimming Association awarded Michael the 199th Triple Crown of World Open Water Swimming in 2018 for his successful crossings of the English Channel in 2014, the Catalina Channel USA in 2017, and his circumnavigation of Manhattan Island NY in 2018.
Michael has a decade of experience as a property presenter and commentator for SKY News Business Channel and is a regular speaker at conferences on emerging property issues.
Michael's strata experience
- 33 years in private practice as a specialist strata lawyer and fellow of the Australian College of Strata Lawyers (1985 to 2018)
- Author, ‘Growing Up – How Strata Title Bodies Might Learn to Behave’ (Major Street Publishing, 2015)
- Strata expert for Margaret Lomas’ web tv show, ‘Property Investing Matters’ streaming on mypropertytv.com.au and host and former presenter for SKY News Business
- Former major shareholder of 10 strata management businesses managing over 35,000 strata lots throughout Australia
- Co-inventor of the strata renewal concept in Australia allowing strata property owners to maximise their sale price by using collective sale processes and redevelopment plans.